September 27, 2016 10:39:19 am
In a combative opening to the US presidential debate, Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton clashed over a host of issues ranging from economy, tax cuts for the wealthy, the Islamic State, Russia among others. Without sparing a moment, Trump led the charge against Clinton and slammed her for staying off the campaign trail recently as he travelled the country, to which Clinton came up with a riposte: “I think Donald just criticized me for preparing for this debate. And yes, I did. And you know what else I prepared for? I prepared to be President. And that is a good thing,” she said.
It was a war of words as both accused each other of alleged misdemeanours and punched holes into their policies in the event of either becoming President of the United States of America.
Subscriber Only Stories
Here are a few quotes that highlight the bitter rivalry between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton:
1. Clinton doesn’t have the ‘stamina’ to be president – Donald Trump
2. This is a man who has called women pigs, slobs and dogs – Hillary Clinton.
3. I don’t think anybody knows it was Russia that broke into the DNC… I mean it could be Russia. But it could also be China. It could be lots of other people. It could be somebody sitting on their bed who weighs 400 pounds – Trump
4. President Barack Obama “has doubled (the national debt) in almost eight years. … When we have $20 trillion in debt, and our country is a mess”- Donald Trump
5. “Independent experts have looked at what I’ve proposed and looked at what Donald’s proposed, and basically they’ve said this, that if his tax plan…were to go into effect, we would lose 3.5 million jobs and maybe have another recession. They’ve looked at my plans and they’ve said…we will have 10 million more new jobs” – Hillary Clinton
6. “Had we taken the oil (in Iraq) — and we should have taken the oil — ISIS would not have been able to form”- Donald Trump
7. “The Fed, by keeping interest rates at this level, the Fed is doing political things. … The Fed is being more political than Secretary Clinton”- Donald Trump
8. “Donald publicly invited Putin to hack into Americans” – Hillary Clinton
9. “Stop-and-frisk had a tremendous impact on the safety of New York City. Tremendous beyond belief” – Donald Trump
10. “Our jobs are fleeing the country. They’re going to Mexico. They’re going to many other countries. … Ford is leaving, thousands of jobs leaving Michigan, leaving Ohio.’ They’re leaving, and they’re leaving in bigger numbers than ever” – Donald Trump
11. “She’s got experience. But it’s bad experience” – Donald Trump
12. “A man who can be provoked by a tweet should not have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear codes” – Clinton
📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.