Thursday, Dec 01, 2022

US: Melania Trump sues news outlets for claiming she was an escort

Some publications have apologised to Melania for publishing the story.

us, donald trump, melania trump, melania trump escort, us elections, us elections 2016, presidential elections, world news Melania Trump, wife of Republican US presidential candidate Donald Trump, speaks at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, Ohio. (Reuters)

Melania Trump, the wife of US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, has sued British newspaper Daily Mail and a US-based blog for USD 150 million in damages over stories that had alleged she worked as an escort in the 1990s.

Both media outlets have retracted the story and issued an apology.

“These defendants made several statements about Mrs Trump that are 100 per cent false and tremendously damaging to her personal and professional reputation,” her lawyer Charles Harder said in a statement.

“Defendants broadcast their lies to millions of people throughout the US and the world—without any justification. Their many lies include, among others, that Mrs Trump supposedly was an ‘escort’ in the 1990s before she met her husband.

Subscriber Only Stories
JK Cement’s SPSU Udaipur Launches ‘Golden Batch 2022’ In Collaboration Wi...Premium
Appendicitis in Children- A new lifestyle disorderPremium
Using evidence will create strong foundations for the future of education...Premium
Re-Defining The Tradition In Folk Art: An Art Educator’s PerspectivePremium

The defendants’ actions were so “egregious, malicious and harmful” Melania, that her damages are estimated at USD150 million, Harder said. Melania had served a legal notice to the two publications last week. The lawsuit was filed in a Maryland court on Thursday.

Soon after, the Daily Mail retracted the story. “To the extent that anything in the Daily Mail’s article was interpreted as stating or suggesting that Mrs Trump worked as an ‘escort’ or in the ‘sex business,’ that she had a ‘composite or presentation card for the sex business,’ or that either of the modeling agencies referenced in the article were engaged in these businesses, it is hereby retracted, and the Daily Mail newspaper regrets any such misinterpretation,” the mewspaper said in a statement.

Maryland-based blog Tarpley.net also issued a statement apologising to Melania for publishing the story.

Advertisement

Two other publications have also apologised to the former model for repeating the claims.

In an interview to CNN, Harder said that Melania would proceed with the lawsuit despite the Daily Mail’s retraction.

First published on: 02-09-2016 at 07:03:07 am
Next Story

US Federal Reserve may stay cool on September hike even if job market glows hot

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close