Follow Us:
Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Nigeria: 85 people killed in weekend Boko Haram attack near Maiduguri

Borno State health commissioner Haruna Mshelia said 75 bodies were brought into the hospitals, while 10 others had been buried on Sunday.

By: AFP | Maiduguri |
February 1, 2016 9:32:39 pm
Nigeria, Boko Haram attack, Boko Haram, Nigeria attack, Maiduguri, bomb blast, suicide bombing, world news Women and children look at burnt out houses following an attack by Boko Haram in Dalori village 5 kilometers (3 miles) from Maiduguri, Nigeria, Sunday Jan. 31, 2016. A survivor hidden in a tree says he watched Boko Haram extremists firebomb huts and listened to the screams of children among people burned to death in the latest attack by Nigeria’ s homegrown Islamic extremists. (AP Photo/Jossy Ola)

At least 85 people were killed in a weekend attack by Boko Haram insurgents in a village near the restive north-east Nigerian city of Maiduguri, a state commissioner said on Monday. Borno State health commissioner Haruna Mshelia said 75 bodies were brought into the hospitals, while 10 others had been buried on Sunday.

He gave the new toll while briefing the state deputy governor and a military commander on Saturday’s attack in Dalori, some 12 kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital.

Local residents and an unidentified aid worker had said on Sunday that some 50 people were killed in the attack. “A total of 65 bodies were deposited at the specialist hospital, 10 others are being deposited at UMTH (another hospital), while another 10 were buried on Sunday evening at the Dalori community cemetery” Mshelia said. He said 16 villagers were unaccounted for.

[related-post]

Subscriber Only Stories
Skin Allergies In Children – What parents need to know?Premium
What makes KuCoin P2P Trading Platform a Good Choice To Buy Crypto?Premium
Airtel Demonstrates Immersive Video Entertainment On 5G; Recreates Kapil ...Premium
Is It A Good Idea To Keep One Account For All Your Financial Transactions?Premium

An eyewitness Bulama Malum said he saw more than 20 bodies burnt beyond recognition and that 15 villagers were missing. A member of the civilian joint task force, assisting the military in the fight against Boko Haram said more than 100 were killed in the incident, the latest to hit the restive region.

“Even as at last night the people that died were over 100. I am sure many could have died today,” vigilante Musa Adamu told AFP. “Anybody that tells you that the figure is less than 100 is just not saying the truth,” he said.

Saturday’s attack occurred near a camp for people displaced by the seven-year Boko Haram violence. It also came as thousands of internally-displaced people were returning to camps. The Borno State government has said it was planning to return some 50,000 displaced people to their home towns in the coming days.

The Boko Haram insurgency has killed some 17,000 people and forced more than 2.6 million to flee their homes since 2009. The group which seeks to impose strict sharia law in mainly-Muslim northern Nigeria has also made cross border attacks into Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

Hot Offer Putin claims victory in Mariupol, leaving Ukrainian defenders holed up Subscribe Now
Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard

Featured Stories

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X