Follow Us:
Monday, July 04, 2022
Premium

Death toll rises to 194 in migrant shipwreck off Egypt

Twenty-five bodies were recovered on Tuesday from a boat that sank in Mediterranean waters off Egypt last week with hundreds of migrants aboard, raising the confirmed death toll to 194, rescue workers said

By: Reuters | Cairo |
September 27, 2016 9:23:23 pm
Egypt migrant boat,Egypt migrants, Egypt boat capsized, migrant boat capsized, Egypt migrant death toll, news, latest news, world news, international news, Egypt news Egyptian coast guard and rescue workers bring ashore a body from a Europe-bound boat that capsized off Egypt’s Mediterranean coast, in Rosetta, Egypt, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016. (AP Photo/Eman Helal)

Twenty-five bodies were recovered on Tuesday from a boat that sank in Mediterranean waters off Egypt last week with hundreds of migrants aboard, raising the confirmed death toll to 194, rescue workers said.

The boat capsized off Burg Rashed, a coastal village where the Nile meets the Mediterranean, on Sept. 21. Rescue workers and fishermen said they had rescued at least 169 people, but uncertainty remained over how many might still be missing.

The spokesman for the Beheira regional governor said the shipwreck had been hoisted out of the depths and was likely to contain dozens more bodies. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Tuesday it believed at least 450 people were aboard the vessel and that about 300 likely perished in all.

“It is one of the worst tragedies of this year, but not the worst,” IOM spokesman Joel Millman told a briefing in Geneva. “We are concerned about what this says for the rest of the season as the weather turns cold and seas get more difficult.”

Subscriber Only Stories
Skin Allergies In Children – What parents need to know?Premium
What makes KuCoin P2P Trading Platform a Good Choice To Buy Crypto?Premium
Airtel Demonstrates Immersive Video Entertainment On 5G; Recreates Kapil ...Premium
Is It A Good Idea To Keep One Account For All Your Financial Transactions?Premium

Egyptian security sources initially said there had been almost 600 migrants aboard. Officials said the boat was carrying Egyptian, Sudanese, Eritrean and Somali migrants, and that they believed it was heading for Italy. Four members of the crew were arrested.

Watch what else is in the news

More and more migrants have been trying to cross to Italy from the African coast over the summer months, particularly from Libya, where people-traffickers operate with relative impunity. But boats have increasingly departed from Egypt of late as Libya has slipped deeper into lawlessness.

The IOM says that more than 3,200 migrants have died while trying to cross the Mediterranean this year, while more than 300,000 have reached European shores. More than 1 million Middle Eastern, African and Asian migrants entered Europe in 2015. The IOM said the number of migrants to arrive in Europe this year likely would not reach last year’s level though the number of fatalities was virtually certain to exceed the 2015 total.

“Despite the drop in arrivals, which is considerable through this year, fatalities have exceeded last year’s total at this time by almost 600 and seem virtually certain to surpass what we saw last year, which was a record year,” Millman said.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X