Friday, Dec 09, 2022
Premium

Malaysia says search for missing MH370 to end in two weeks

The Malaysian Airlines jet disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 passengers and crew.

MH370, MH370 flight, Malaysian flight, Missing MH370, Malaysian airlines, Boeing 777, MH370 wreckage, mh370, mh370 missing airplane, mh370 search operations, mh370 search hunt, mh370 Underwater drone, mh370 drone search, mh370 missing aircraft, missing malaysian aircraft, MH 370 plane, world news The Malaysian airline MH370 disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people on board. (Source: Reuters)

The hunt for missing flight MH370 will end in two weeks, Malaysia’s transport minister said on Friday, as relatives of passengers demanded authorities push on with the search. “We’re at the final lap within these two weeks,” the minister, Liow Tiong Lai told reporters. “We hope we can find the plane.”

Watch What Else Is Making News

Liow did not specify a date but said that a tripartite meeting will be held after a final report is released when the 120,000 square kilometre search ends.

Authorities had previously said the search will end early this year. The last search vessel embarked on its final sweep across the southern Indian Ocean last month.

Subscriber Only Stories
JK Cement’s SPSU Udaipur Launches ‘Golden Batch 2022’ In Collaboration Wi...Premium
Appendicitis in Children- A new lifestyle disorderPremium
Using evidence will create strong foundations for the future of education...Premium
Re-Defining The Tradition In Folk Art: An Art Educator’s PerspectivePremium

The Malaysian Airlines jet disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 passengers and crew.

It is believed that the Malaysian Airlines plane crashed into the Indian Ocean, but an extensive deep-sea hunt off Australia’s west coast has failed to find a single piece of debris.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which has been leading the search mission, said in a report last month that the Boeing jet is almost certainly not in the current search zone and may be further north.

The report was based on a review of evidence by Australian and international experts.

Advertisement

Australia has said that it did not view the report findings as credible.

The governments of Australia, Malaysia and China, where most of the passengers were from, previously agreed to pull the plug on the operation once the current search area was fully scoured unless “credible new information” emerged.

“We cannot just base [a search] on assumptions. We need credible clues to look for the plane,” said Liow when asked about the possibility of a search further north.

Advertisement

Many families have been long sceptical about whether the ongoing search is in the right place.

In a statement late Thursday, the international group of MH370 next-of-kin, Voice 370, called on Malaysia, Australia and China to consider the next step before the current search ends.

“Extending the search to the new area defined by experts is an inescapable duty owed to the flying public in the interest of aviation safety,” it added.

First published on: 06-01-2017 at 06:58:03 pm
Next Story

IBPS CWE RRB V Officer scale I, II, III exam 2016: Call letter released

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close
search Search