December 14, 2016 4:13:03 pm
Amazon Prime Video was launched in India today, and aims at fulfilling all your needs for video content – may it be movies or TV shows. The new video app will be competing with existing players like Netflix, and the Indian origin app, Hotstar.
For now Amazon Prime Video is cheaper at Rs 42 per month, given the service is costing Rs 499 per year in India at its introductory price. It will rise to Rs 999 next year, which is around Rs 84 per month. In comparison Hotstar is Rs 199 per month, and Netflix starts at an a pretty high Rs 500 a month for the basic package, Rs 650 for Standard (includes HD viewing) and Rs 800 for a Premium subscription (includes Ultra-HD viewing).
Of course, which app gets the most subscribers will depend on who has the best content to offer. Amazon has expressed that are going to make a lot of original content for its users in India. To sign-up for a 30-day free trial of Prime membership, customers can visit primevideo.com and download the Amazon Prime Video app.
Amazon Prime Video has movies listed in different genres like Action and adventure, Comedy, Drama, Thrillers, Bollywood, Crime, Animated, Romance and Horror. Apart from Hindi and English, movies in Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Bengali are also featured in the app including Kaashmora, Theri, Killing Veerappan, 1 – Nenokkadine, Khawto, and Family Katta. So clearly there is a lot of focus on regional content, which is a smart strategy from Amazon.
On the Bollywood front, Amazon Prime Video has begun services in India with latest movies like Sultan, Kabali, Raaz, Kapoor & Sons, Sarabjit, Fan, Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, among others. Exclusive Bollywood movies on the app include Dil Dhadakne Do, Shaandaar, Rock On, Talaash, Student of the Year and Fukrey.
Amazon Prime Video Original content includes the new auto show ‘The Grand Tour’ anchored by James May, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson. Original content on the app also includes TV series like Goliath, Good Girls Revolt, Transparent, Hand Of God, The Man in the High Castle and more. It also has the complete Seinfeld series for those who are fans of the show.
For users already hooked to others shows, Prime Video will give you access to latest episodes from Supernatural, 2 Broke Girls, The Vampire Diaries, Mom, Nashville, The Good Wife and more. The app also has a ‘Kids & Family Movies’ section which features content include Next Avengers, Planet Hulk, Himalayan Adventures, The Spongebob Movie, etc.
The Amazon Original Indian Series will include diverse genres such as drama, comedy, psychological thriller, biopics, period/action, mythological/fantasy, sports drama and political satire.
Here is a list of some of the titles that Amazon is working on right now for its Indian audience:
1. Bodhidharma: Master of Shaolin | Equinox Features | Ram Madhvani, Prasoon Joshi and Sunil Doshi
2. Breathe | Abundantia Entertainment | Vikram Malhotra, starring R Madhvan and Amit Sadh
3. The Ministry | AIB and OML
4. Powerplay |Excel Media & Entertainment | Ritesh Sidhwani and Farhan Akhtar starring Vivek Oberoi, Richa Chadda and others
5. Mirzapur | Excel Media & Entertainment | Ritesh Sidhwani and Farhan Akhtar
6. Stardust | Phantom Films| Vikramaditya Motwane, Madhu Mantena, Anurag Kashyap and Vikas Bahl
7. The Family Man | D2R Films | DK Krishna and Raj Nidimoru
8. Vishpuri | Big Synergy | Vikas Bahl, Vikramaditya Motwane, Anurag Kashyap and Madhu Mantena
9. Made in Heaven | Excel Media & Entertainment and Tiger Baby| Ritesh Sidhwani, Farhan Akhtar, Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti.
In addition to new Indian Original Series, Prime members will also have access to the global Amazon Original Series from the US.
delivered to you
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.