May 3, 2015 8:37:38 am
Floyd Mayweather uses defense and accuracy to outpoint Manny Pacquiao in richest fight ever
The Big Fight, as it happened
* Pacquiao still can’t believe it. He thought he won the bout and that’s why didn’t attack much in Rd 11 and Rd 12.
* Mayweather defeats Pacquiao by unanimous decision.
* The big fight is over. Mayweather feels he has won this. Waiting for the official verdict.
* We are into the final round. It will be interesting to see how the judges are seeing this bout.
These last two rounds will decide the winner. #MayPac
— Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) May 3, 2015
* The bout enters the business end – the championship rounds.
* Pacquiao on the offensive, the Mayweather corner wears a worried look.
* At the half-way mark! Both boxers pumped up. Pacquiao throwing a lot of punches while Mayweather is happy to defend those and land the critical ones just when they matter.
* Pacquiao goes all out and the crowd gets behind the boxer.
* Plenty of punches exchanged in the first two rounds.
* Pacquiao launches an all-out attack in the second round. Thunderous chants of Manny in the arena.
* Interesting first round. The battle – with both gloves and words – is underway.
* The final preparations
* Both fighters are in the ring, and they are ready!
* Even Indian Express columnist Harsha Bhogle is glued to the bout.
Don’t normally watch boxing but settling down to watch Mayweather-Pacquiao with my personal commentator @chinmaybhogle!
— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) May 3, 2015
* Actor Jamie Foxx, left, poses with the champion’s belt after singing the national anthem before the start of the world welterweight championship bout.
* Pacquiao enters the ring for the biggest fight of his career.
* Pacquiao has a smile on his face as he makes the gentle jog to the ring. Calm and composed.
* Millions of Filipinos pack public gymnasiums, movie houses, restaurants and homes of relatives and friends with pay-per-view to cheer on their boxing hero Manny Pacquiao from halfway across the world in his fight against American Floyd Mayweather.
* The fighters are ready, and the arena is packed. But Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao are waiting in their dressing rooms for a few extra minutes.
* Actress Drew Barrymore joins the crowd.
* We are less than five minutes away as boxers apply final touches in their dressing rooms.
— Joy Garcia (@whizkid9255) May 3, 2015
* Tennis legend Andre Aggasi in attendance.
* Here’s how you can watch the bout in India, absolutely FREE!
* Tantalizingly close to perhaps the most anticipated sporting event of the year, many cable and satellite customers are complaining they can’t watch the fight.
* It’s the Richest. Biggest. But Greatest bout of all time? Explains Jonathan Selvaraj
* Paris Hilton is in the house. She’s pumped up!
* Even before the boxers exchange the first punch, #MayPac is the top trend on Twitter.
* Mayweather, aggressively chewing a gum, puts his gloves on and is all set to march to the ring.
* Who’s Mayweather? How he fights? All you need to know about the two boxers here.
* The two fighters have reached the arena. Some time away from the bout now.
* The sun is going down on the Las Vegas Strip, and the first fans have filed into the MGM Grand Garden Arena for the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s bout with Manny Pacquiao.
* The casino has been buzzing with activity since morning, and the well-heeled boxing fans lucky enough to get a ticket are starting to fill up the stands. Thousands of people without tickets are milling around the entrances to the arena, hoping to glimpse anything interesting around boxing’s biggest fight in several years.
* The early-arriving crowd even included Floyd Mayweather Sr., who sat quietly in the stands to watch a decision victory for Chris Pearson, a middleweight in the Mayweather promotional stable.
Here’s what they are saying on Twitter about the big fight
(With AP inputs)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.