Updated: January 27, 2022 11:22:48 am
Infertility seem to be the commonest and most frequently discussed problem in the New Age couple these days.
The Reason could be:
- 1. Late age of Marriage.
- 2. Delaying the pregnancy planning.
- 3. Focus towards carrier.
- 4. Couple are working in different time zones and not able to spend time together.
So what is Infertility?
When a fail to conceive after 11 years of interrupted trying in the absence of any sexual issues.
Best of Express Premium
What is the percentage of couples in India are finding it difficult to conceive?
About 10-14% of the Indian population have infertility issues.
What causes Infertility?
I. It can be because of problems in the female reproductive system/ male reproductive system.
II. A big group of people do not have any issues and that is known as “Unexplained infertility”.
How common is infertility?
An estimated 1 in 10 women in the reproductive age group will suffer from some form of infertility.
What are the type of infertility?
Primary – A woman who didn’t conceive even once.
Secondary – A women finding it difficult to conceive second time following a successful first conception.
What are the risk factor in female?
- It can be because of abnormal production of hormones. (hormonal imbalance)
- It could be because of uterine anomalies. (presence of adenomyosis, fibroid, septum)
- Ovarian dysfunction. (absence of ovulation or irregular ovulation. (E.g. Poly cystic ovaries)
- It can be because of diseased Fallopian tubes. (pelvic inflammatory disease, previous history of ectopic pregnancy)
- Psychological problems.
What are the risk factor in male?
- Varicocele. (enlarged veins in the scrotum)
- Injury to scrotum and penis.
- High heat exposure. (people working in industries where they are exposed to very high temperature. (E.g. drivers, cooks)
- Genetic disorders.
- Low sperm count.
- Premature ejaculation.
- Psychological problems.
These are the basic information so what should be the plan?
- It is very important to meet the consultant who is an expert in infertility to understand and analyses your problems.
- Today with technology and medication most of the health issues can be treated.
- Once you undergo the required blood investigations and imaging techniques, we can come to the decision as to what type of infertility are we dealing with.
The treatment can be:
- Only counseling where the couples are reassured and many of them come back pregnant.
- Few couples may require medication and the same is prescribed. (E.g. Oral Medication and Injections)
- Some couples may require interventions like IVF and ICSI and they are offered those treatments.
I. It is very important to understand that most of the conditions are treatable.
II. It is essential to address the problems early so that the outcome will be positive.
24×7 Pediatric Emergency Contact No: 044- 4860 0000
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.