January 5, 2009 12:27:15 am
The Assam Police have so far arrested 10 persons in connection with the three serial blasts that rocked Guwahati on January 1. They also confirmed that the militants used TNT in the explosive devices that left five persons dead.
We have so far arrested 10 persons,but one of the main culprits,Pranjal Deka alias Biju Saraniya,is still untraced, Guwahati City Police SSP Pradip Saloi said on Sunday,adding that timer devices were used to trigger the blasts.
Saloi,however,claimed that Deka was in the state and that he could be caught any moment. We have some vital leads. Saloi said the pattern of the blasts as well as the design of the explosive devices were similar to explosions caused by the ULFA in recent times.
Those arrested include Dharanidhar Das,a resident of the Rupnagar locality of Guwahati,whose house was rented out to Deka in October and November. Das has said that Deka had stayed as his tenant on the plea that he had come to the city to learn driving, a police officer said.
Subscriber Only Stories
The SSP,however,said most of the arrested were peripheral supporters of the ULFA which has been accused of causing the three blasts on January 1. Deka,whom police claimed to be a cadre of the ULFAs 709 battalion,hails from Dwarkuchi village in Baska district adjoining Bhutan.
Besides Deka,the police have also identified a second militant Sailen Das responsible for the blasts.
📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.