June 28, 2016 7:04:30 pm
Carpets and rugs instantly elevate the decor of a house. Clean off the stains, keep moisture away from them and store them well to keep your rugs clean and long-lasting, says an expert.
Mithilesh Kumar, technical expert and President of Obeetee, handmade rug making company, shares how:
* Vacuuming: Regular vacuuming helps keep the carpet clean. Loop carpets are more delicate and should be vacuumed without brush. Do not pull if some loose threads come over the surface, cut with scissor.
* Cleaning stains: In case of drop or spillage, absorb immediately with a blotting paper. Press the spot from the sides for maximum removal and minimum absorption in pile. Clean remaining spots, if any, using solvent or spirit. On tough spots, try white vinegar with water equally.
* Washing: Do not try washing at home. Contact the professional for the same.
* Avoid dust, dirt and moisture: Wet carpet leads to mould and mildew growth. Wet wool starts rotting and produces bad odour. If any moisture is suspected, dry the carpet in the sun or ensure proper aeration.
* Storage: Store in dry and well ventilated area. Do not fold your rug; keep it rolled
with a few pouches of silica gel to absorb any residual moisture.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.