February 5, 2015 2:33:12 pm
Chatpata Haryali Paneer is made with cottage cheese and flavoured by a fragrant green paste. Here’s how to make it.
Makes 12-15 pieces
300 gms paneer
2-3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp gram flour (besan), 1 tbsp oil
2 cubes cheddar cheese – finely grated (8 tbsp)
Green paste (haryali Paste)
½ cup green coriander
½ raw mango – grated (¼ cup)
3 green chillies
1 tbsp chopped ginger
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera), 3-4 cloves (laung)
3-4 pepper corns (saboot kali mirchi)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (dalchini powder)
½ tsp rock salt (kala namak)
1 tsp chaat masala
2 onions – cut into rings, a few mint leaves
* Cut paneer into slightly thick (½” thick) triangular pieces. Cut a slit from one tip almost till the end, but keep the piece whole.
* Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan. Add gram flour and roast for 2 minutes on low heat till fragrant.
* Grind all the ingredients of the green paste to a thick paste. Remove to a flat bowl. Fill some paste in the slit of the paneer triangles.
* To the remaining paste, add roasted gram flour and grated cheese. Check salt.
* Marinate paneer in the prepared paste for 10-15 minutes.
* At the time of serving, heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan, roll the pan to spread the oil evenly in the pan. Place 4-5 pieces of paneer and shallow fry on medium heat till the paste sticks to the paneer.
* Place on a serving dish. Saute onions rings in 1 tbsp oil till golden. Add mint leaves. Sprinkle chaat masala and remove from fire. Garnish paneer with golden onion rings and mint leaves. Serve hot.