March 20, 2009 3:27:15 pm
Army has completed its inquiry into the killing of two civilians at Bomai village in North Kashmirs Sopore town.
Defence spokesman said the high level Army Court of Inquiry headed by a Brigadier has held the Junior Commissioned Officer and two soldiers of 22 Rashtriya Rifles,who were involved in the Bomai incident,accountable for various lapses.
The charges besides the failure to exercise desired command and control by the Junior Commissioned Officer also encompasses failure by two soldiers to exercise restraint in the handling of their weapon during the incident, said the spokesman.
The spokesman said that disciplinary action against the three individuals has been ordered by General Officer Commanding of Counter Insurgency Force (Kilo),which will commence with immediate effect.
Subscriber Only Stories
The spokesman said that Army has further stated that any additional charges that may be brought out by Police investigations will be dealt with as per the law. The Army reiterates its commitment to uphold the law of the land and zero tolerance against human rights violations, he said
To punish the guilty soldiers involved in the killing of two civilians in North Kashmirs Bomai village last month the J-K government had forwarded the inquiry commissions report to Ministry of Defence. JK chief minister Omar Abdullah also had met Defence Minister and sought action against the guilty the soldiers who were indicted by the inquiry commission set up by the JK government.
The inquiry commission headed by former Baramulla Deputy Commissioner in its report submitted to the government had indicted the Army for “killing two civilians”,saying that the Army opened fire and killed two civilians without any provocation and the Army action was not only disproportionate but breached all operational procedures.
The report had rubbished Armys claim of cross firing.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates