Updated: July 30, 2018 11:39:19 am
Kerala Finance Minister Thomas Isaac presented the state budget for fiscal year 2017-18 on Friday. From promises of providing internet connection to 20 lakh households to assurance of security for women, there were a lot of announcements in Isaac’s budget. The presentation also had a fair bit of drama as opposition Congress members boycotted the session alleging that the budget was leaked on social media.
Here are the numbers and highlights of the budget:
* Rs 25000 crore was set apart for infrastructure development in the state.
* Rs 174 crore for electrification of all houses in the state.
Best of Express Premium
* Rs 2600 crore for upliftment of SC and 750 crore for ST 128 crore for coir industry.
* Government allocated 2100 crore for Agriculture sector.
* Budget also allotted 900 crore for ration subsidy.
* Rs 10 crore was set apart as compensation for Endosulphan victims.
* FM Thomas Isaac alloctated Rs 3000 crore for revival of Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC).
* Giving high priority to protection of women in the state, Rs 5 crore was assigned for protection and rehabilitation of women.
* Praising infrastructural development in Kerala, Thomas Isaac allocated 100 crore for smart cities.
* Rs 10 crore was announced to end manual scavenging and plant 3 crore tree saplings by next monsoon.
* CPI-M led LDF government in Kerala announced an increase of Rs 2000 in the pension amount of Pravasi from Rs 500 to 2000.
* Kerala FM set aside Rs 248 crores for Anganwadis.
* Rs 25 crores-Sabarimala Master Plan.
* Rs 1000 crore for optic fiber network through K-phone 6500 cr for development of coastal roads.
* Onelakh houses for homeless in next year.
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.