Thursday, January 27, 2022

UKLF condemns attack, night curfew to be imposed at Indo-Myanmar border

The banned group extended "solidarity’’ to the bereaved family members of the fallen soldiers and has also clearly stated that there should be no "repeats of such incidents in our operating area.’’

By: Express News Service | Imphal |
June 6, 2015 7:56:32 pm
Manipur ambush, manipur militant ambush, manipur militant attack, militant ambush manipur, manipur chandel attack, northeast militant attack, manipur attack, manipur army attack, indian express editorial A scene after a military convoy was attacked by an unidentified insurgent outfit first with a powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) killing at least 20 army personnel and injuring 11 others in Manipur’s Chandel district on Thursday. (Source: PTI Photo)

In a first, the banned Kuki militant group, the United Kuki Liberation Front (UKLF) has condemned the attack on the 6 Dogra Regiment on Thursday, June 4. The site of attack Parolon in Chandel district falls under UKLF’s operating area. UKLF is one of the 20 signatories of suspension of operation with the Indian Government.

In its statement issued by the UKLF secretary of information and publicity the banned group said that it was “unfortunate that such an incident occurred in Chandel district when its people are struggling for peace and normalcy.

The banned group extended “solidarity’’ to the bereaved family members of the fallen soldiers and has also clearly stated that there should be no “repeats of such incidents in our operating area.’’

[related-post]

Meanwhile Major General Bipin Rawat, Commander, 3 Corps of the Indian Army today said that there was no failure of intelligence that led to the incident.

“We receive intelligence inputs every day and act and react according to these inputs. There are numerous incidents which are foiled due to the action we have been taking on the basis of these inputs – there are so many incidents which we prevent. In this case, it happened to be an instance in which the militants were successful in carrying out their operation,’’ said Major General Rawat.

Major General Rawat said that the Army has not only initiated a massive hunt for the insurgents actually involved in the attack but also of the people who had been harbouring them.

“They had come 23-24 kilometers from the border. So they obviously had some local support. We know that they majority of the people in Manipur do not condone or cooperate with such organisations but then there are few who do – and they will be apprehended and taken to task,’’he said.

The Army has asked the state government to declare a night curfew in areas adjacent to the border. “The border is highly porous and militants take advantage of that. We want the movement restricted at least in the night so we are free to operate – this is difficult with a lot of civilian movement,’’he added.

Major General Rawat said that the Indo-Myanmar border has been completely sealed in areas which intelligence inputs have revealed that the insurgents involved in the incident may try to escape from.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X