November 24, 2016 7:09:17 pm
India on Thursday reacted strongly to reports of Pakistan setting up a special group to “expose” New Delhi’s alleged atrocities in Kashmir, saying it should focus its energies on “stemming the rot of terrorism instead of expending its breath” in making baseless charges. External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup also took a dig at Pakistan Prime Minister’s foreign affairs adviser Sartaj Aziz for his remarks that Islamabad would reach out to Indians who are opposed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “extremist policies”, saying probably he has not anticipated the kind of reception he may recieve from them.
“Pakistan would be well advised to focus its energies on stemming the rot of terrorism instead of expending its breath in making baseless allegations. He (Aziz) would be well advised to rather woo Pakistanis to end his government’s policy of state sponsorship of terrorism,” Swarup said.
He was reacting to reports quoting Aziz as saying that Pakistan has set up a high-level committee to formulate “a doable and sustainable” policy to highlight the Kashmir issue globally and is reaching out to Indians who are opposed to Modi’s “extremist policies”.
Swarup also gave details of the demarche issued to Pakistan Deputy High Commissioner yesterday over the killing of its three soldiers.
He said India strongly deplored the tacit support of the Pakistani army to armed terrorists that came from close to that country’s army posts on 22 November, 2016, and targeted an Indian patrol near the Line of Control in Machhal Sector opposite Pakistan’s Kel Sector. Three Indian soldiers were killed in the ambush and the body of one of them was inhumanly mutilitated, the MEA spokesperson said.
The government also conveyed its grave concern at the continued attempts to infiltrate armed terrorists from across the LoC to target Indian posts and patrols.
“During the last week alone, there have been 15 instances when terrorists indulged in nefarious actions from the vicinity of Pakistani army posts across the Line of Control,” he said, adding Pakistan forces have committed 27 ceasefire violations between 16 and 21 November, 2016 which constitute a clear violation of the ceasefire agreement of 2003.
Swarup also rejected Islamabad’s allegation that India was not giving overflight clearance to Pakistan which is in violation of a 1991 agreement. “Yes, we are aware of what Pakistan has claimed but we categorically reject these allegations.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.