August 13, 2016 1:23:30 pm
The minor victim in the Bulandshahr gangrape has moved the Supreme Court seeking FIR against UP Minister Azam Khan and erring police officers. The victim has also asked that the case be transferred to Delhi and urged that it should be probed under the monitoring of a court.
Addressing the media, Azam Khan had said that the Bulandshahr gangrape incident was a political conspiracy to defame the government. He said that with the elections near the desperate opposition could stoop to any level. “We must also probe whether this entire controversy is a move by some Opposition elements to defame the government. People who want to come to power may be stooping this low for political interests,” the minister said.
The 14-year-old girl who was raped on July 30, has also requested schooling for herself, and security and rehabilitation for her family.
The minor girl and her mother, who were on their way from Noida to Shahjahanpur with four other family members, were allegedly gangraped by a gang of dacoits in Bulandshahr district, on the Delhi-Kanpur highway, early on July 30 morning.
Earlier, the father of the minor had also lamented that they might have to leave their locality and shift the girl to another school. Even a friend who gave them shelter after the incident has asked them to leave, he said. Pushed to the wall, the family has threatened to commit suicide if the culprits are not punished in the next three months.
“Everyone in our locality knows what happened. There are mediapersons waiting outside our house. We have not been able to go home because of embarrassment. How will we be able to live with respect there? We have been living in that locality for the last 18 years. We have no option but to move out. My daughter does not want to change her school but what will she say when children ask questions,” the father said.
The incident took place when a Noida-based private sector employee, his wife, two daughters and two other male relatives were on their way to attend a funeral in Shahjahanpur, when their vehicle was stopped near Dostpur village on NH-91 at around 2:30 am. The family told the police that the road had been blocked with an “iron rod”, due to which they were forced to stop the vehicle.
As soon as they stopped the vehicle, about half-a-dozen armed dacoits reportedly surrounded them. According to the FIR, the dacoits forced the family to walk into the thickets, about 50 metres from the highway, and looted their cash, jewellery, ATM cards and other valuables. They then allegedly dragged the woman and her daughter some distance away and raped them, while holding the male members of the family at gunpoint.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.