November 6, 1996 11:08:09 am
The Supreme Court on Wednesday awarded life sentence to former IPS officer’s son Santosh Singh in the 14-year-old rape and murder case of law student Priyadarshini Mattoo.
Following is the chronology of events in the sensational case:-
* Jan 23,1996: Priyadarshini Mattoo raped and killed by Santosh Kumar Singh. Delhi Police register the FIR.
* Jan 25,1996: Case handed over to CBI. Agency registers case.
* Apr 11,1996: CBI files chargesheet in the case against Santosh Singh.
* Jun 20,1996: Date of committal of the case to Additional Sessions Judge General B B Chowdhury.
* Aug 29,1996: Charges framed.
* Aug 11,1997: Trial starts in the court of Additional Sessions Judge S C Mittal.
* Jan 3,1998: Prosecution evidence closes. 50 witnesses examined by the court. No defence witness.
* Apr 18,1998: Arguments closed in the case but was marred by a controversy of allegations of money changing hands ahead of judgement. The case transferred to ASJ G P Thareja.
* Apr 21,1998: Case admitted by Thareja
* Jun 1,1998: Thareja summons two prosecution witnesses — Inspector Lalit Mohan of Delhi Police and Prof G V Rao of Microbiological Centre.
* Jun 1,1998: CBI submits case diaries in court.
* Nov 30,1998: ASJ Thareja begins hearing defence and prosecution witnesses.
* Mar 31,1999: Examination of witnesses closes.
* Dec 3,1999: ASJ Thareja delivers judgement; Santosh Singh acquitted; CBI lashed for shoddy investigation.
* Feb 29,2000: CBI appeals in Delhi High Court.
* Apr 26,2000: High Court admits appeal.
* Oct 17,2000: High Court issues bailable warrant against Santosh Singh.
* Dec 17,2001: CBI files appeal for early hearing before High Court.
* Nov 25,2002: CBI files application before High Court for early hearing.
* Feb 14,2003: Accused files application for inspection of files.
* Mar 25,2003: High Court dismisses the application.
* Jul 22,2006: CBI files another application for early hearing.
* Jul 28,2006: Delhi High Court fixes August 31 as date for hearing.
* Aug 31,2006: High Court orders daily hearings in the case.
* Sept 27,2006: High Court reserves judgement in the case. CBI seeks action against five Delhi Police officials.
* Oct 17,2006: High Court convicts Santosh Singh for raping and killing Priyadarshini Mattoo.
* Oct 30,2006: Santosh Singh given death sentence by Delhi High Court.
* Jan 23,2007: Santosh Singh challenges conviction and death sentence in Supreme Court.
* Feb 19,2007: Supreme Court admits Santosh Singh’s appeal against High Court verdict and stays death sentence.
* Jul,2010: Day-to-day hearing on the appeal.
* Jul 29,2010: Judgement reserved.
* Oct 6,2010: SC upholds the conviction of Santosh Singh,but commutes the death penalty into life term.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.