The clash between Ajay Devgn’s Shivaay and Karan Johar’s Ae Dil Hai Mushkil could not have been without fireworks. And no, we are not hinting on the release date of the two films, which happens to be Diwali.
But what nobody expected was that the tussle would begin so soon. And caught in the middle of a face-off between Ajay and Karan will be a man called Kamaal R Khan — failed actor, self-proclaimed film critic and an all-round troll. In fact, KRK — as he likes to call himself — has found his true calling as a troll.
He likes to mess with the rich and the famous of Bollywood and regularly tweets about them to his sizable followers on social media. Offensive, sexist and — in many cases — libellious, KRK’s tweets are designed to cause problems. The questions is, why would Ajay Devgn hinge his entire argument against Karan on a man like that? On Thursday, Ajay Devgn alleged Karan paid Rs 25 lakh to KRK to praise his upcoming film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and slam his Shivaay. He also
released an audio of his partner Kumar Mangat talking to KRK where he accepted that he got Rs 25 lakh from Karan to support his film. He revealed that when Mangat asked him why he was suddenly slamming Shivaay.
Rather than talking to Karan or at least verifying KRK’s claims, Devgn sent a strongly worded statement to the media, “I have been a part of the Indian film industry for the past 25 years and have been associated with over 100 films. My father was a professional action director and I have an emotional connection with this industry. It therefore pains me to see that people like Kamaal R Khan are holding the film industry to ransom by spreading negativity about films to extort money from producers. It is very sad that people from our own industry are supporting such elements and spoiling the ethos of the film industry. I would strongly demand that this be thoroughly investigated by competent authorities to clarify if Karan Johar was indeed involved in this.” (Is KRK so influential his tweets should worry Ajay Devgn?)
Bollywood, time and again, has called KRK a man of no consequence only to rise to his bait and turn him into a brand. In fact, the man himself said it in so many words after Ajay Devgn’s diatribe. “One side Ajay Devgan is calling me self claimed critic n other side he thinks that I am really powerful no.1 critic who can harm his film. Today @ajaydevgn has proved that KRK Sirf Ek Naam Nahi Hai Balki Aaj KRK Ek brand Hai,” he tweeted. (KRK’s tweets that promoted Karan Johar’s Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and angered Ajay Devgn)
And this is not the first time that Bollywood has made the man important by reacting to him. It has happen so many times, one has to wonder why don’t they just ignore him? For that is an option too, given that KRK is trying so hard to offend and get mileage in the process. (Shivaay vs Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: KRK changes tune, says Ajay Devgn and not Karan Johar offered money to promote film)
Here are five times when Bollywood took to social media to turn KRK into a brand…
1. Vikram Bhatt vs KRK: A couple of months ago director Vikram Bhatt decided to take KRK to court for defamation.In a Facebook post, Bhatt described the long-standing animosity between them and the legal action he planned to take against the actor. Bhatt and Khan have been at loggerheads ever since a critical review of ‘1920 London’ Khan surfaced, in which, Bhatt says, “He decided to do a review of me instead of the film. He made absurd insinuations — called me a fraud, a pimp and other unsavory names.” The lawsuit led to a string of counter-reactions from Khan on Twitter.
2. Sidharth Malhotra vs KRK: Sidharth Malhotra was the latest celebrity from Bollywood to lock horns with Kamaal R Khan earlier this year. Sidharth, Alia unveiled the cover of their latest edition of Vogue on February 26, which featured them in beach wear and KRK couldn’t stop but post a derogatory comment calling the 22-year-old actress “bacchi”. An upset, Brothers star told KRK to “shut up”. Revealing the same to Indian Express.com, Sidharth said, “It was a built-up of lot many things. He used to WhatsApp me morphed pictures of girls. So it’s a built up of many things. Then again on the same WhatsApp he apologised and said if you got so offended why didn’t you tell me.”
3. Sunny Leone vs KRK: A couple of years ago, Kamaal R Khan had mentioned on his Twitter timeline that Sunny Leone had made a controversial statement – “Rape is not a crime, it’s just a surprise sex”. On receiving this, Sunny Leone filed a complaint with the Cyber Crime Investigation Cell of the Mumbai Police against KRK for misquoting her and had denied that the rape statement attributed to her by Kamaal on micro-blogging site Twitter was made by her.
4. Sonakshi Sinha vs KRK: A couple of years ago, KRK was slammed by Sonakshi Sinha on Twitter after the actor-filmmaker tried to conduct the “Best Bollywood Butt” survey. The survey, however, got into trouble when Sonakshi lashed out at him for disrespecting women on a public platform. In response to his survey, Sonakshi tweeted, “Please RT this if u think @kamaalrkhan is a woman disrespecting waste of space and deserves to be hung upside down and given 4 tight slaps.”
5. Kapil Sharma vs KRK: KRK also got into a nasty argument with comedian Kapil Sharma when he poked fun at Kapil by saying his debut film will be named as Bank Chor. But KRK didn’t stop there. He went on to say that Nargis Fakhri turned down the offer because Kapil was playing the lead. Outbursting his anger, Kapil Sharma tweeted, “call me.. if u have guts..i will show u.. How to deal with a punjabi guy :).” Their fight continued till night that day.