Tuesday, January 25, 2022

BMC tells Bombay HC: Notice served for illegal constructions in Cong corporator’s bungalow

Mehta further informed the court that he had ordered an inquiry against officials who did not inform him about previous court orders regarding razing the illegal portions.

By: Express News Service | Mumbai |
December 14, 2016 2:15:07 am

MUNICIPAL commissioner Ajoy Mehta Tuesday informed the Bombay High Court that a show-cause notice has been issued to the husband of Congress corporator Binita Vora for illegal constructions in their bungalow. Binita is the corporator from Vile Parle. The BMC had earlier approved regularisation of the illegal portions, and the notice asks why this should not be revoked.

Mehta further informed the court that he had ordered an inquiry against officials who did not inform him about previous court orders regarding razing the illegal portions.

Watch What Else Is making News

The High Court had earlier issued a notice against the commissioner of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation asking why contempt action should not be initiated against him for failing to comply with a June order directing demolition of the illegal portions of the bungalow in suburban Mumbai. The BMC had instead regularised the structure.

A division bench of Justice A S Oka and Justice Anuja Prabhudessai was hearing a petition by Shiv Sena member Jitendra Janawale, whose wife lost an election to Vora in 2012. His petition sought action against Vora and her husband for the illegal structure.

“I have instructed officers to proceed with revocation of the approval and accordingly a showcause notice was issued on December 6, 2016 by the executive engineer of the ward to Mehul Vora and the concerned architect,” says an affidavit tendered by Mehta, adding civic officials have been asked to take “serious cognisance of court orders.”

He further stated that he was not informed about the earlier orders of the court. “The officers have failed to bring the earlier court orders to my notice. I have directed an inquiry against all officials on December 7, who are responsible for this. I have directed the officer of the rank of deputy municipal commissioner to inquire and accordingly responsibility would be fixed and necessary action taken against the erring officers,” said Mehta.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X