Sunday, Dec 04, 2022

26/11: Defence wants Headley on video,court says no grounds

The 26/11 trial court today rejected a plea to record through video-conferencing a statement from David Headley,who has pleaded guilty in the US to his role in preparing the groundwork for the attacks.

The 26/11 trial court today rejected a plea to record through video-conferencing a statement from David Headley,who has pleaded guilty in the US to his role in preparing the groundwork for the attacks.

Accused Sabahuddin Ahmed’s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi made the application but the special sessions court said a similar plea had been rejected earlier and no fresh grounds have been made in the current application.

Naqvi had prayed that since the Crime Branch has moved an application under section 173 (8) of the CrPC for further investigations,the new revelation by Headley has to be probed as it would give new dimensions to the case.

Naqvi attached a copy of the guilt plea bargain between Headley and the US government,but the special court said it cannot take cognisance of the copy as it had been downloaded from the Internet.

Subscriber Only Stories
JK Cement’s SPSU Udaipur Launches ‘Golden Batch 2022’ In Collaboration Wi...Premium
Appendicitis in Children- A new lifestyle disorderPremium
Using evidence will create strong foundations for the future of education...Premium
Re-Defining The Tradition In Folk Art: An Art Educator’s PerspectivePremium

The prosecution told the special court that it would complete its final arguments Tuesday against Ajmal Kasab,Ahmed and Fahim Ansari. The arguments had opened on March 9.

Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam has argued on several charges including that of waging war against the nation. The prosecution’s concluding arguments are likely to deal with the evidence against Ansari and Ahmed,who are charged of making hand made maps of the places attacked and supplying them to the LeT.

The defence will begin its arguments later.

No bail to Gawli
The Bombay High Court on Monday dismissed a bail application by gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli challenging the application of MCOCA charges on him. Gawli is accused of executing the contract murder of corporator Kamlakar Jamsandekar,shot dead in March 2006. Gawli’s advocate I A Bagaria confirmed that the High Court has dismissed the bail application.

First published on: 23-03-2010 at 02:21:21 am
Next Story

Nitish fetes Bihari pride in poll season

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close