January 8, 2009 2:02:39 am
The act of 10 highly motivated though misguided youth has shaken not only the Marathas known for bravery and patriotism but also captured the attention of the world for a good 55 hours. How unfortunate!
The harsh reality
The youths loaded with arms and ammunition enter the country,hold the government to ransom,leave 200 dead in the largest democracy of the world.
During the 1971 Indo-Pak war too,the toll was 4,000 and 93,000men were taken as the prisoners of war.
Subscriber Only Stories
This highlights the failure of the system and the callous attitude of the authorities responsible for governance of the country.
Since November 26,the media,both print and electronic,has been dominated by the concern about the safety and security of the common man. Thanks to the media for making the common man understand his fundamental right to a safe and dignified life. Till date,the government was only worried about the safety of the select few political leaders. As a result of this mind-set,not a single leader came forward to face the terrorists. Had these leaders with their security guards gone to the Taj or Oberoi,the problem could have been sorted out in no time. If ASI Tuka Ram Omble had the courage to chase two terrorists and ultimately capture Amir Kasab,why could our leaders not think of going to the troubled spots with their guards.
To tackle ten boys,why did the state have to look up to the Centre for assistance? It should not take more than 50 soldiers to combat a dozen terrorists. In Mumbai alone,umpteen number of leaders is misusing the security cover ranging between 4 and 20 policemen,thus,wasting the national human resource.
A terrorist is born or gets public support only when a section of population feels alienated or suppressed. When the people,who dominate the society,start exploiting the system to suppress the downtrodden or less privileged,the ground becomes productive for the creation of a terrorist. When injustice is meted to individual or community,it marks the beginning of hatred for the people responsible for making the system. These people become vulnerable to fall into the hands of anti-social elements. So it is the duty of the media to ensure that justice prevails.
A similar case of injustice is that of Jagsheer Singh,who is in the police custody and five persons had been sentenced to life for murdering him. One of them has committed suicide and the other four have lost complete faith in the system.
No foreign country will ever succeed in creating terror if our own public is satisfied with the governance of the country.
However to deal with strikes such as in Mumbai,the following steps should be taken
* The services of former army commanders who have the experience in dealing with jehadi terrorists in Jammu & Kashmir should be roped in.
* Army officers should be appointed as advisors on internal security to heads of state governments.
* Highly motivated ex-servicemen should be made part of the Quick Reaction Teams in all the states. Thus,the services will cost half the price to the exchequer as the pension earned is included in the pay.
* The public in general and the students in particular should be trained to counter such an attack.
* Produce bravehearts like ASI Tuka Ram Omble and Major Sandeep Unnikrishanan.
* Politicians to be prevented from dividing the society on the basis of caste,religion or region.
* Equality and justice should to be ensured.
* System of governance and delivery of justice to be developed to prevent manipulation of systems by influential persons.
* If people in authority commit heinous crimes,they should be given exemplarily punishments in the shortest possible time.
* Services of living heroes,freedom fighters should be utilised to motivate the youth of the country.
* Armed forces should always be awarded more than their expectations.
* Stop misutilisation of police or commandos for the security of the selected few. Use them for public safety.
The way out
There is no need to make new laws to tackle terrorism. Existing laws are more than adequate. What is required is the change of mind-set of politicians and their sincerity to provide security to the common man. Till date,these leaders think of security of a selected few and not the common man. State police force is misutilised for the security of politicians. Moreover,a majority of them divide the society on the basis of caste,religion and region for getting votes. They are also responsible to a great extent for creating misunderstanding and hatred among different communities. Public should be made aware of their fundamental rights.
📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.