August 13, 2016 1:39:26 am
On a day the Supreme Court ordered a CBI inquiry into the Bulandshahr gangrape case while observing that it was “not satisfied” with the investigation so far, more flak came Uttar Pradesh Police’s way with the National Commission for Women terming it “very negligent” in dealing with the case, which has grabbed national attention and was even raised in Parliament.
“In the Bulandshahr case, police acted very negligently. They did not include POCSO Act in the FIR until we intervened. Even the FIR was not written properly,” NCW chairperson Lalitha Kumaramangalam said in Lucknow. She said the Noida-based man whose wife and daughter were gangraped by a group of bandits had even made a statement in this regard.
She also criticised UP cabinet minster Azam Khan for his remarks over the incident. “Azam Khan’s statement was very irresponsible. It will not bring any change in the condition of the women,” she said.
Khan had alleged that there could be a political conspiracy behind the gangrape case to defame the state government. He had later backtracked.
Kumaramangalam said the police and administration officials in UP do not give replies to the NCW’s letters fast enough, forcing the commission to hold public hearings outside Delhi. She added that the NCW gets maximum complaints from UP.
She said the commission has received a total of 12,338 cases from across the country since January 1, of which 7,198 are from UP. She said the maximum cases in UP came from Ghaziabad (579), followed by Agra (504), Mathura (343), Meerut (256) and Gautam Buddha Nagar (247) districts. The commission had received total 23,370 complaints from across country last year, of which 14,392 were from UP, she added.
Citing a few possible reasons for the maximum cases coming from UP, Kumaramangalam said it could be because the complainants do not get reprieve or they think that they will not get the required help from the state. She said most of the complaints are regarding “police apathy”, followed by those of “right to live with dignity” and “dowry”.
Commission member Sushma Sahu said she had gone to visit a minor girl who had been raped in Hapur, and found that “very dirty” food was being served to the patients at the hospital where she was admitted.
The commission held its hearings of complaints in Lucknow on Friday. The hearings will continue on Saturday. Earlier, the commission had held such hearings in Ghaziabad and will hold them in Rampur and Shamli in the coming days.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.