The Uttar Pradesh Police faces a Tuesday deadline for sharing with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) documents related to the deployment of PAC personnel on the day of 1987 Hashimpura massacre.
The Delhi High Court and the NHRC are adamant on seeking the details despite the police’s admission about the same being “weeded out”.
Meerut SSP Dinesh Chand Dubey has now directed the Circle Officer, CBCID to collect evidence in this connection by March 15 and send the same to the NHRC and to the state’s Additional Advocate General Zafaryab Jilani.
The directive was issued following a fresh letter from Jilani, who represents the state government in the case before the Delhi High Court.
Jilani had faxed his letter in this connection to the Meerut SSP on March 8.
In January, the Meerut SSP in his reply to the government had said that the records pertaining to the postings of police officers and employees in Meerut on the fateful day were destroyed on January 4, 2006 after the period for their upkeep lapsed.
“The NHRC moved an application in the Delhi High Court on previous date of hearing in the case on February 17 and sought these details .The court agreed on this, following which I faxed the letter to the Meerut, SSP. The Court also took a strong note of the fact that none of the senior police official, except those from the CBCID, appeared on previous date of hearing and directed them to appear in person on March 31,” Jilani told The Indian Express on phone. The next hearing in the Delhi HC is scheduled to be held on March 31.
When contacted, Dubey did not divulge any details claiming he was busy with the ‘Tehsil Diwas’ meeting.
However, reacting to the fresh development, Jullfikar Nasir — a resident of Hashimpura and an eyewitness in the case — charged the local police with deliberately destroying evidence to weaken the case.
“They are doing so at the behest of the state and the central government, but we have full faith in the court…We want punishment for those guilty and
this will be delivered. We will decide our strategy in this case after seeing what the court does on the next date of hearing,” said Nasir. A survivor of the carnage, Jamalludin Ansari, said: “The Court will come to our rescue.”
Last year, a Delhi court had acquitted 16 PAC men, who were among the 19 charged with allegedly abducting and killing 42 members of the minority community in May 1987 during the riots in Meerut.