Follow Us:
Monday, August 08, 2022

Delhi: Man drowns two year old, some neighbours blame wife

Bunty became depressed after his wife left him, said his friends.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi |
August 28, 2016 1:59:02 am
His daughters were rescued by police days after Gupta left them inside a room, without any food or water. Express His daughters were rescued by police days after Gupta left them inside a room, without any food or water. Express Photo

Residents of Block A in Raja Vihar’s Nepali Colony are divided in their opinion about Bunty Gupta, the man who “abandoned” his minor daughters in their one-room house in Samaypur Badli.

His friends Suren and Simar and his landlady Hema blamed his wife, Rosy, for the incident. “Bunty told her a hundred times that he would earn and fend for the family, but she was adamant about going to work and earning her own money,” said Suren.

Nand Kishore, the local pandit and Hema’s father-in-law, disagreed. “It is Bunty who used to come home drunk every night and beat his wife. He left his children to die. He was an alcoholic and he should have been admitted to a de-addiction centre like so many men who need help here,” he said.

The colony, which houses hundreds of factory workers and wage labourers in small tenements, was used to the fights and beatings in room number 360.

Subscriber Only Stories
Re-Defining The Tradition In Folk Art: An Art Educator’s PerspectivePremium
Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences (SSSS) launches undergraduate program...Premium
MIT World Peace University launches Five-Year Integrated B.Tech with MBA ...Premium
Bring Home The Ultimate Solution For The Whole Family With Airtel Xstream...Premium

The landlady said, “Bunty and Rosy used to fight every night. She used to stay away from home all day long; she would leave for work by 6 am and come back at midnight. Bunty used to work as a peon in a factory close by and the children loitered around, playing with our children or resting in their room.”

The nine-year-old marriage broke up when Rosy suddenly disappeared two months ago, leaving her two-year-old son Lakshya, and daughters, aged three and eight, behind, said neighbours.

Bunty, who had been living in the colony for the last two years, became depressed, said his friends.


“After his wife left, he used to sit aimlessly on the temple stairs for hours every night. I saw him smashing glass bottles on his head one day. He was depressed about his wife leaving and the fact that he had to bring up three children alone,” said Suren.

Simar said, “He used to go to work every day despite everything and buy his children food every night.” Nand Kishore, however, claimed, “His children were left to fend for themselves the whole day. Bunty did not care for them. The eldest daughter used to take care of the other two. She never begged for food. She offered to earn money by picking garbage or doing part-time work. We used to feed the children whenever we could.”

Nand Kishore was the one who found the children two days ago. He had found the two girls huddled on a blanket inside their room, holding on to each other.


On Saturday, he found the door open and Bunty lying inside. Bunty was then arrested by police.

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

First published on: 28-08-2016 at 01:59:02 am
Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments

Featured Post