Follow Us:
Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Gangrape: US woman says probe not satisfactory, ready to come

Her first trip to a foreign country outside her own has left her scarred and she says that she won't be able to stay in any hotel now.

By: PTI | New Delhi |
December 12, 2016 6:16:15 pm
Sant, Dauji Ashram, saint rape, agra rape, gangrape, news, latest news, India news, Agra news, national news Image for representational purpose

The US national, who was allegedly gangraped in a five-star hotel in Connaught Place in April, says she isn’t quite satisfied with the probe and is willing to come down to the country to join the investigation, despite the “nightmarish” experience. In an email interaction with PTI, the gangrape survivor shared how she was trying to cope up after the ordeal which still haunts her eight months on.

Watch What Else Is making News

The 25-year-old, who works as a teaching aide in US, claimed she was drugged by the accused for several days and it was only later she could recollect the details of the incident.

After returning, “it was around end of July 2016 that I started to remember what happened to me in India. I would get panic attacks, nightmares and anxiety.

Subscriber Only Stories
Skin Allergies In Children – What parents need to know?Premium
What makes KuCoin P2P Trading Platform a Good Choice To Buy Crypto?Premium
Airtel Demonstrates Immersive Video Entertainment On 5G; Recreates Kapil ...Premium
Is It A Good Idea To Keep One Account For All Your Financial Transactions?Premium

“Till date, I get panic attacks on occasions when the incident runs through my mind. I am trying to engage myself in my work and other activities,” she said.

After she came to terms with the incident, the 25-year-old contacted an NGO that sent an email to Delhi Police on October 5. The victim has spoken to a female police officer a couple of times on phone along with her lawyer and answered some questions but says that she is not satisfied with the pace of investigation.

“I am not at all satisfied with the way the probe is going on. Delhi Police acknowledged the complaint filed by NGO on my behalf on October 17 but no investigation was launched by them.

“I have been reading media reports and it seems that police did contact the main accused over phone. I am worried why the accused have not been arrested so far even though an FIR was registered on December 3.

“I did reply to some of their emails which they were slow to respond to. I fear that the accused might have destroyed any evidence,” she claimed. Even though she isn’t comfortable to come back here, she has assured the investigating agencies that she will be visiting the country to assist in case she is needed.

“I was left with horrible memories. I am not comfortable in going to India but I want to go there to join the investigation so that accused may be convicted,” she stressed.

The victim said that she is trying to arrange financial assistance for coming to India and the US Embassy in Delhi and some NGOs in the US are helping her in this regard while her her family has been providing her the much-needed moral and emotional support.

The woman said that she had chosen India for her first trip abroad as she is “interested in learning about Indian as well as Middle East culture”, despite being told about concerns over women safety in the country.

“People did warn me and tried to convince me not to go to India for these reasons. I somehow convinced my family for this trip,” she recalled.

After she landed in India, she didn’t realise what happened to her as she was allegedly sedated by the accused who also made videos of the act and threatened her with dire consequences, the victim said.

“I believe the accused kept on drugging me in some form or the other at least for the first three days of my tour,” she said. It was because of fear and confusion that she couldn’t muster up the courage to share the incident with her fellow tourists or police, the woman said.

“I felt that I was sleep walking and had no memory of the incidents. The accused kept on threatening me that they will kill me. I was in a foreign country for the first time. That’s why I was not able to confide with my fellow group members as well as police,” she said.

The main accused, a tour guide, was questioned by the police last week and told them that the victim gave them a positive feedback in the forms and even an internal inquiry conducted by the company on the basis of the victim’s complaint didn’t find them guilty.

“I don’t know what the accused have said but I don’t recall giving positive feedback in the forms. I am not aware of any internal inquiry by their company,” she said.

Her first trip to a foreign country outside her own has left her scarred and she says that she won’t be able to stay in any hotel now.

“I am very much scared of travelling outside the US after this incident. I don’t think I can even stay in any hotel now because of this incident,” she said. But as she ends the interview, she affirms that she doesn’t hate India and would like to come back here.

“My fascination with India hasn’t changed. I am just very weary due to the situation but would like to visit India someday with someone,” she said.

Mrityunjay Kumar, partner of Dhingra and Singh – Attorneys at Law firm, who is handling the case said, “She is willing to come down to India. She wants that the police should conduct a thorough and professional investigation in the matter and the accused should be convicted.”

Hot Offer Putin claims victory in Mariupol, leaving Ukrainian defenders holed up Subscribe Now
Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard

Featured Stories

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X