Thursday, Dec 01, 2022

Delhi: Family loses all 3 children as fire breaks out in New Usmanpur slum

Police suspect that the fire was caused by a short circuit followed by three cooking gas cylinders explosions.

Bahaduri with a child from the neighbourhood after she lost her children. Express Photo/Oinam Anand Bahaduri with a child from the neighbourhood after she lost her children. Express Photo/Oinam Anand

Three children including a six-month-old boy of a family were charred to death and a child from another family was injured after a fire broke out in the slum-cluster of North-East Delhi’s New Usmanpur. Police said the fire broke out at about 11.30 pm Saturday in 2nd Pushta area.

Police said prima facie the cause of fire seemed to be an electrical short circuit. The fire destroyed around 12 jhuggis. “There were three casualties from one family. After the fire broke out, a mother of three was unable to rescue her children from the house,” said a police officer.

Police said the deceased had been identified as Reena (8), Meena (6) and six-month-old Mubarak.

The injured child, Shakhuddin, has been admitted to the Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital with 60 per cent burn injuries, said police.

Subscriber Only Stories
JK Cement’s SPSU Udaipur Launches ‘Golden Batch 2022’ In Collaboration Wi...Premium
Appendicitis in Children- A new lifestyle disorderPremium
Using evidence will create strong foundations for the future of education...Premium
Re-Defining The Tradition In Folk Art: An Art Educator’s PerspectivePremium

A neighbour, Rubina, said she saw Bahaduri, the mother of the three children killed in the fire, running out of her jhuggi. “I managed to get my children out when I saw Bahaduri outside her jhuggi. She was not able to speak and later started screaming that her kids were still inside. By then the flames had already spread very far,” she said. Rubina said cylinder blasts worsened the fire and claimed she heard at least seven such blasts before the fire was brought under control.

Fire officials said eight fire tenders rushed to the spot and it took two hours to douse the fire.

Bahaduri was admitted to Jag Parvesh Hospital and was in a state of shock, police said. Her husband, Mohammad Raquid, was not at home during the fire.

Advertisement

Raquid, who works as a waste collector, said, “We usually go to collect waste in Gandhi Nagar at night. When I came back at about 3 am, I heard my children had died.” The police handed the bodies to him Sunday afternoon. The Delhi government arranged for tents nearby for those affected. DCW chairperson, Swati Maliwal, also visited the slum cluster.

 

First published on: 11-01-2016 at 02:33:28 am
Next Story

Sanjay had 10 cheating cases against him, was arrested and sent to Tihar: Police

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close