October 6, 2016 6:02:23 am
FOUR PERSONS, including two members of a family and two tenants, were injured after a fire broke out in a house due to gas cylinder leakage in Sector 19, Abheypur, Wednesday.
The incident took place at house no.171 in Sector 19, Abheypur where Bhure Lal, a HUDA worker, stays with his wife, Shanti and two children. Two tenants, Shiv Ram and Sandeep also live in the house. Shanti’s brother, Anand, who lives nearby was also present at the time of the incident.
Shanti, Shiv Ram and Anand suffered serious burn injuries (over 50 per cent) and were rushed to General Hospital, Sector 6, from where they were rushed to PGI. They are currently under treatment in PGI. While, Sandeep was admitted in GH-6 with burn injuries on his leg. One of the children, aged 12, also suffered minor burn injuries on her arm.
The incident took place around 4 am, when Bhure Lal’s wife, Shanti woke up and went to the kitchen to make tea. As soon as she lit a match-stick and switched on the gas cylinder, a fire broke out. Shanti rushed inside to inform others and everyone ran out of the house.
Watch What Else Is making News
Shanti also informed her brother, Anand, who reached the spot. They tried to douse the fire using damp clothes, but could not after which, Anand and Shiv Ram entered the house and tried to throw the cylinder out, when the fire escalated and injured both of them. Shanti and Sandeep, who were standing nearby, also suffered injuries.
The victims alleged that the no one picked up the call, when they tried to call the Fire Station after 4 am. It was only at 4:35 am, when the PCR informed the Fire Station, that a fire tender was sent to the spot. The fire was controlled by 5 am.
“It is a congested area and three families lived in the house. The fire was minor initially, but aggravated when they tried to douse it. Three of them were referred to PGI and their condition is stable,” said ASI Prakash, in-charge, Police Post, Sector 19.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.