October 11, 2016 3:56:26 am
WITH THE Chandigarh Housing Board (CHB) not having possession of the entire land earmarked for the Sector 51 Self Financing Housing Scheme, the allottees are demanding that the board should not enforce the condition of making the full payment till the land is freed from encroachment. All successful applicants of Scheme A and Scheme B — a total of 200 flats — are required to make 100 per cent payment by October 22.
The housing scheme is to come up at 4.48 acres of land. Out of the total, around 1 acre is in the possession of two saw mill-cum-furniture shops, which have been running their business from the same premises since 1988. The owners of both the mills are in court against the Chandigarh Administration for their rehabilitation. The case is listed for hearing on October 19.
Keeping the encroachment in mind, the board had initially decided to construct only 128 flats. However, confident of getting the land vacated, the board in May decided to increased the number of flats to 200. Criticising the board, S D Rattan, one of the successful applicants, said that the board should have allotted the flats only after getting the encroachment removed.
“At the time of draw of lots, we were not aware that the board does not have the entire land earmarked for the project in its possession,” said Rattan. To arrange money for making the full payment, Rattan, a retired government employee, sold his ancestral property at Khanna. J S Chaudhary, another allottee, said that the board should not ask for money till the encroachment was removed. “The board should have taken full possession of land before holding draw of lots and auction of flats,” said Chaudhary, who is considering surrendering his flat.
Citing high price, many successful applicants are struggling to raise funds for making full payment to the board. So far, over 20 applicants have surrendered their flats. As per laid down condition, the board will refund the earnest money to the applicants who have surrendered their flats, after deducting 10 per cent from the amount.
Shilpy Pattar, who recently joined as CHB secretary, said that she was not aware of the issue. Raghuvir Lal Arora, a member of the board, said that the board members would take up the matter with chairman Maninder Singh, who is out of the country for training. Out of the total 200 flats, the board has fixed a tentative price of Rs 69 lakh each for as many as 150 flats under different categories, excluding other charges, making it the most expensive scheme to date.
A total of 136 flats have been allocated to successful applicants through draw of lots while 50 flats were auctioned under Scheme B with the highest bid of Rs 77.50 lakh against the reserve price of Rs 69 lakh. As many as 14 flats, seven each under discretionary quota and oustees, have been kept reserved.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.