November 25, 2015 8:32:00 am
A seven-month-old baby boy has became the first victim of swine flue in the city this year. The victim is undergoing treatment at the PGIMER, where his condition is said to be stable.
Sources said the baby, who resides in colony number 4 in the Industrial Area, was tested positive for H1N1 virus a few days ago. “He was immediately admitted to the Advanced Paediatric Centre of PGI,” said a health official.
Anil Garg, nodal officer for National Vector-Borne Diseases Control Programme and state surveillance officer, confirmed that the seven-month-old boy had became the first swine flue case in the city. “We have given tamiflu capsules to the family members. He is receiving treatment and is stable,” he said.
To spread awareness in crowded colonies in the city, Garg said they had started distributing pamphlets. “After this case was reported, we immediately distributed pamphlets in colony number 4. Our ground team surveyed the area as well,” he said.
Subscriber Only Stories
Last year, according to the health department, the city recorded 22 positive cases of swine flue, claiming seven lives.
Recently, the UT health department invoked the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, and made HIN1 disease notifiable in the city. The department had invoked the same act to make the swine flue disease notifiable in 2009.
📣 Join our Telegram channel ( The Indian Express ) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.