Monday, Nov 28, 2022

Exporters to get refunds in 7 days under news GST regime: Nirmala Sitharaman

The revenue department of the finance ministry has agreed to even offer interest on the refund claim if it’s unduly delayed, Sitharaman said.

GSt, Goods and services tax, GST bill, GSt regime, new GSt regime, Nirmala Sitharaman, Sitharaman, Sitharaman on GST, economy, business news, indian express news Nirmala Sitharaman. (File Photo)

In a major relief to exporters, the government has agreed to refund as much as 90 per cent of their duty claims just within a week under the new goods and services tax (GST) regime, commerce and industry minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Thursday.

The revenue department of the finance ministry has agreed to even offer interest on the refund claim if it’s unduly delayed, Sitharaman said after chairing the meeting of the Council for Trade Development and Promotion in New Delhi. The commerce ministry had been vigorously taking up this issue with the revenue department, so that the concerns of exporters were addressed adequately before the new indirect tax regime kicked in.

Commerce secretary Rita Teaotia also said the revenue department has committed that 90 per cent of the refund will be made within seven days, while the remaining 10 per cent “will be subject to whatever verification the revenue department is required to do”. Under the Goods and Services Tax structure, taxes must be paid and that the refund will be provided.

In a meeting with finance minister Arun Jaitley and others at Goods and Services Tax Council on Tuesday, Sitharaman had stressed there was a need to review the current time-consuming process of refunds claimed by exporters against the duty paid on imports of raw materials or other items under various schemes in the new tax regime. So, refunds against the imports of capital goods under the Export Promotion Capital Goods Authorisation Scheme and those of raw material under the Advance Authorisation Scheme are expected to be processed within a week. (With FE Inputs)

Subscriber Only Stories
JK Cement’s SPSU Udaipur Launches ‘Golden Batch 2022’ In Collaboration Wi...Premium
Appendicitis in Children- A new lifestyle disorderPremium
Using evidence will create strong foundations for the future of education...Premium
Re-Defining The Tradition In Folk Art: An Art Educator’s PerspectivePremium

First published on: 06-01-2017 at 02:12:30 am
Next Story

More Guantanamo releases likely before January 20: White House

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement