June 29, 2016 6:19:03 pm
Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Wednesday said that the Cabinet has approved the Model Shops and Establishment (Regulation of Emp & Conditions of Service) Bill 2016. The bill will now be sent to States and Union Territories.
Here are the key points regarding the bill:
* It will cover establishments employing 10 or more workers except manufacturing units
* To provide freedom to operate 365 days in a year and opening/closing time of establishment. This could mean that shops and establishments can operate 24/7
* Women to be permitted during night shift, if necessary amenities and adequate protection of their dignity exists
* Powers of government to make rules for adequate measures to be taken by the employer for safety and health of workers
* No discrimination against women in the matter of recruitment, training, transfer or promotions.
* Five paid festival holidays in addition to national holidays etc.
* Lavatory, crèche, first-aid and canteen by group of establishments, in case it is not possible by individual establishments
* Model Bill to bring about uniformity in legislative provisions, making it easier for all the States to adopt it
* To ensure uniform working conditions across the country and ease of doing business, generate employment opportunities
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.